Curriculum Vitae (Resume) Summary
Dr. David Hilton Dyson
Education and Professional Development Preparation
- Doctor of Education, Higher Education Administration (Dept. Ed. Leadership), Vanderbilt University (TN).
- Institute for Educational Management, Harvard University (MA).
- Master’s in Management, Birmingham-Southern College (AL).
- College Management Program, Carnegie-Mellon University (PA).
- Bachelor’s in Business (Finance, minor Speech), Auburn University (AL).
- Jefferson County Schools: Rocky Ridge, Berry, Gresham, Shades Valley (AL).
- 250+ seminars: planning, development, leadership, management, business, institutional advancement.
Professional Service Experience
Personal, Professional, and Leadership Development / Education, Student, and People Development /
Strategic Planning and Management / Association and Community Development / Board Planning and Leadership
Books: Professionalism Under Stress, Patriotism in Action, Suggestions for Successful Living, Presidential Priorities, The Career Planner. Planbooks: Plan for College and Life; 7 Steps to Set Achievable Resolutions; Best-Self Strategy; Earning Empowerment; Veterans Making Comebacks… Articles: AGB Reports, Personal Excellence, DrDavid.blog…
1992- Life Leaders Institute/founder and director: community seminars, planning, projects…
- Director: programs/services—Best-Self Leadership (1988-); Plan for Life (1988-); Master Your Goliaths (2012-); Patriotism in Action (2003-); Veterans Day History & Character Education (2012-); Freedom to Flourish (2014-)…
- Lectures/seminars: Plan for School and the 7 Areas of Life; Best-Self Leadership: 7 Best Practices to PLAN and LEAD your LIFE; Master Your Goliaths; Earning and Delegating Empowerment; 7 Motivating Values; Purpose of Life; Time-Priority Leadership: Professionalism Under Stress; Patriotism in Action: Veterans Day Founding & Character Traits…
- Seminars with authors: Dr. Stephen Covey, Dr. Ken Blanchard, Dr. Denis Waitley, Mr. Hyrum Smith…
- Continuing Education Instructor: author/faculty, Life Leaders, colleges/universities, professional societies.
- TV/radio guest: Troy TV; Lou in the Morning; Michael Hart Show; Bhm TV: NBC, ABC, CBS….
- Education Consultant: University of Alabama College of Education (helped dean and faculty develop plans).
1988- Professional practice: executive coach; leadership and management trainer, plan consultant, author 3 books.
- Executive and Professional Development Coach: executives, boards, emerging leaders, students.
- Professor (adjunct): Life Planning & Leadership; Strategic Management; Principles of Management (Birmingham-Southern College); Leadership (UAB Engineering); Business Plan Competition, Entrepreneurship (Whitworth U).
- Board planning and leadership, corporate planning, Vision Golf and Association Management (2009-2016).
- Leadership Program Consultant-Coach-Faculty, Hack Sain and Sain Associates (1993-2007).
1987-88 Vanderbilt University: doctoral candidate-in-residence/graduate: dissertation, two articles published.
1984-87 BSC: Associate VP (1984-87): VP Council, Director Strategic Planning, Budget Committee; Adjunct faculty, Strategic Planning; Institute for Educational Management, Harvard University.
1980-84 BSC: Director of Alumni Affairs—advancement, events, board… (1980-87). Earned Master’s Degree in Management and completed College Management Program, Carnegie-Mellon University.
1978-80 Author/speaker: The Career Planner, seminars on career planning & organizing; student UAB.
1976-78 Pi Kappa Alpha National Fraternity: Director of Chapter Development (1977-78): expansion of new chapters, improvement of chapters, supervisor 17 resident counselors; speaker at fraternity/university events. Chapter Consultant (1976-77): Leadership/management consultant/coach to students/alumni.
University/school: Academic Honor Graduate (4.0), Masters in Management—Birmingham-Southern College; Top 10 Seniors—Auburn University; Outstanding Undergraduate, Pi Kappa Alpha Auburn University; Outstanding Alumnus—AU Pi Kappa Alpha; #1 in Region & #7 in Nation (Bible sales, college summer) & Diamond Award (70 Hours Per Week effort)—Thomas Nelson Publishers; Citizenship Speech Award (Freedom), Gresham Jr. High School.
Community: 10 Outstanding Young Citizens in Alabama, presented by Alabama Jaycees; Top 40 under 40, Birmingham Business Journal; Loyalty Award, Life Leaders; Above and Beyond, The American Village.